“Jesus said ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the Kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it’”. (Mark 10:14)
At ECS we seek to teach the children to remain childlike in their approach to God. We seek to teach them the truths of the good news about Jesus and to help them see how He is relevant to their lives. For those who have faith in Him, in partnership with the Holy Spirit who lives in them, we seek to build them up and encourage them in their Christian lives. As such we welcome children from all faiths and none and from all sorts of backgrounds.
We use the following criteria for admitting children to the school:
- Parental acceptance of the Biblical principles on which the school is run and willingness to allow their children to join in the activities of the school.
- Parental financial commitment to the agree fees. Bursaries up to 50% of the full fees are available subject to need and availability.
- Parental willingness to serve the school. There are various opportunities to fulfil this commitment.
- The ability of the school to meet the education needs of the child. Independent assessment may be used in complex cases.
- Availability of places. Children are normally accepted onto a waiting list if a particular class is oversubscribed.
- Siblings and children moving from the ECS nursery will be given preference.
Process of admission
Applications for the admission of a child to Emmanuel Christian School are considered by the Principal. The overriding concern is prayerfully to seek to discern the will of the Lord in respect of each case. Subject to this the Principal will take advice from other staff members as appropriate. In some circumstances the Principal may feel it appropriate also to consult some or all of the Board members. The Principal will consider all of the factors outlined in the policy. The final decision on whether to admit the child rests with the School.
Children will normally be accepted into the nursery at the start of the term following their third birthday.
Children will normally be accepted into the reception class in the September before their fifth birthday.
There may be space for older children. Parents should discuss their needs with the Principal.
Throughout this section reference to parents should be taken to refer to those persons who have legal guardianship of the child for whom a place is being sought.
Admission is by a well-defined series of steps, which are set out as follows
The School maintains a waiting list for those parents wishing to apply in advance and in the event of a class being oversubscribed.
Transition from nursery to infants
Children in the nursery do not have an automatic place in the infants, i.e. Reception class, although preference will be given to children in the ECS nursery. Parents will be invited to apply during the year before their child would take up a place. A further interview and/or references would not normally be required but may be requested. Otherwise the process will proceed as applications for infants outlined above.